Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico
Job type: Full-time
The GIS Specialist will be collaborating in the daily GIS operations in the Puerto Rico Vector Control Unit, in its goal to control the mosquito Aedes aegypti. Work will be conducted primarily using ArcGIS software for GIS databases, maps, database reports and specialized queries in support of various projects. The candidate, will also support in the production of data, maps, field data capturing apps in support of the different teams within the PRVCU. Performing GIS analysis, modeling and reporting to support decision making will be a daily role as part of the GIS team in the PRVCU.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide technical support and assistance to PRVCU Staff with GIS initiatives regarding data creation, GIS software, in-house tools, and other geospatial business processes and workflows
- Collect, query, analyze and interpret spatial data to produce maps, reports, and other products
- Maintain, quality assure, and revise existing PRVCU GIS Library data layers in coordination with other staff
- Develop and document new GIS data layers.
- Collaborate in updates of features and attributes in local and Enterprise GIS Databases, including Domains and Subtypes.
- Revise maps and map products using GIS cartographic concept, principles, and processes.
- Assist in the evaluation of products or techniques of potential value to the PRVCU control programs
- Assist in education and outreach activities if necessary
Education, Training and Experiences:
- Preferred Associate or Bachelor degree in Geography, Natural Sciences or related field
- Ability to work independently
- Experience with the Esri suite of products, including ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcGIS Online
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other PRVCU employees
- Ability to interact with general public and with personnel of Federal, State and local government agencies, and industry
- Must hold valid Puerto Rico driver’s license Please send CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include contact information, indicate whether or not you speak Spanish and English fluently, and are available to start within two to four weeks of being notified.
Overview of the organization
The Puerto Rico Science Technology and Research Trust is a private non-profit organization created in 2004 to encourage and promote innovation, transfer and commercialization of technology and creation of jobs in the technology sector. We are responsible for Puerto Rico’s public policy for science, technology, research and development. The Trust’s mission is to invest, facilitate and build capacity to continually advance Puerto Rico’s economy and its citizens’ well-being through innovation-driven enterprises, science and technology and its industrial base. Our vision is that by 2022, Puerto Rico is a globally recognized innovation hub that develops, attracts, and retains scientists, technology entrepreneurs, and enterprises to unlock world class creativity and competitiveness
The Puerto Rico Vector Control Unit (PRVCU) main responsibilities is to develop, lead, and deploy an effective integrated vector management (IVM) strategy to reduce the Aedes aegypti population and the burden of Zika, chikungunya, and dengue. PRVCU will carry out vector surveillance, community engagement and IVM for effective mosquito control.