Community Mobilization Specialist
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico
Job Type: Full time
The Community Mobilization Specialist is an exciting position designed to serve as a driving force in designing, operationalizing and supporting the community engagement, mobilization, education, and behavior change programs for the Community Mobilization Division of the Puerto Rico Vector Control Unit’s (PRVCU). This position support the PRVCU mission of inspiring and empowering the Puerto Rican public to play a direct and meaningful role in combating the mosquito that spreads Zika, dengue, and other diseases. The position will support the development of programs, structures, and other initiatives to help impact vector-specific attitudes and behavioral change goals relating to vector control. To do so, this position will also need to be able to build strong relationships, engage directly with a range of stakeholders, including community leaders, faith-based organizations, local governments, influencers, civil society leaders, businesses, educational institutions, other nonprofit organizations. This position will report to the PRVCU in San Juan, Puerto Rico and will work with communities all around the Island.
Reports To: Director, Community Mobilization Division
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Develop, manage, support, coordinate, monitor, and/or report on the PRVCU’s community mobilization and community engagement programs, ranging from small community mobilization programs to large-scale community engagement initiatives island-wide with multiple municipalities and stakeholders;
- Serve as the primary liaison to a range of community-based organizations, local businesses, faith-based organizations, schools, and appropriate government agencies;
- Regularly participate, coordinate, support, design, and/or implement community mobilization such as workshops, trainings, town hall meetings, special events, social, cultural event and other related activities around the Island during or outside normal business hours;
- Identify, recruit, and maintain relationships with key stakeholders for purposes of expanding the VCU’s community mobilization efforts and behavior change programs;
- Reports on the implementation and status of community programs and update a platform with content relating to community-based vector control behaviors and events for the PRVCU’s digital properties;
- Develop a strong, detailed understanding of the social and cultural dynamics island-wide, and incorporate that knowledge into the PRVCU’s programs and tactics for engaging communities and citizens genuinely;
- Support in the development, managing, monitor or evaluation of protocols and tools for measuring community engagement programs;
- Assist in the development and organization of communication materials
- Engage the Puerto Rico’s business community in proactive partnerships – employee training and education programs; information sharing; program sponsorships; and combined community mobilization programs;
- Provide support to the PRVCU in general, and the Community Mobilization division specifically, as needed.
Since our organization is going to change to meet the needs of public health, environmental conservation and the PRVCU, you can expect, anticipate and assume that your job description will change to meet these challenges.
Education, Training and Experiences:
- 2-4+ years of hands-on experience in coordinating and/or leading community mobilization, engagement or activation programs in the areas of public health, environment or other related field.
- Advanced degree, MA, MPH, MS, or MBA preferred, and Bachelor’s Degree is acceptable, in public relations, sociology, community engagement, political science, journalism, or related field;
- Experience designing, developing and implementing community-based programs in public health-related or related initiatives;
- Strong track record of contributing to public health-related or other related campaigns and/or initiatives;
- Ability to successfully engage with a wide range of stakeholders;
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively as part of a team in a dynamic environment; comfortable and effective in influencing at all organizational levels; ability to tactfully give/receive constructive feedback;
- Impeccable oral and written communications skills in English and Spanish including excellent writing, proofreading and editing abilities and command of grammar/punctuation, style and format; ability to communicate, translate, simplify and articulate complex ideas into easily understood and relatable concepts;
- Proficient in the use of Excel, Word and PowerPoint, web content management systems, social media management tools, costumer relation management software, like Salesforce, etc.;
- A self-starter with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and managing multiple simultaneous projects under strict timelines and within confidential circumstances;
- A strong work ethic, ability to maintain and model high personal, ethical and professional standards, as well as an outgoing and positive personality;
- Must be able to work outside normal business hours; must be able to travel regularly throughout the island, as needed.
- Must hold valid Puerto Rico driver’s license
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org before January 25, 2018. Please include contact information, indicate whether or not you speak Spanish and English fluently, and are available to start within one to three weeks of being notified.
Overview of the organization
The Puerto Rico Science Technology and Research Trust is a private non-profit organization created in 2004 to encourage and promote innovation, transfer and commercialization of technology and creation of jobs in the technology sector. We are responsible for Puerto Rico’s public policy for science, technology, research and development. The Trust’s mission is to invest, facilitate and build capacity to continually advance Puerto Rico’s economy and its citizens’ well-being through innovation-driven enterprises, science and technology and its industrial base. Our vision is that by 2022, Puerto Rico is a globally recognized innovation hub that develops, attracts, and retains scientists, technology entrepreneurs, and enterprises to unlock world class creativity and competitiveness
The Puerto Rico Vector Control Unit (PRVCU) main responsibilities is to develop, lead, and deploy an effective integrated vector management (IVM) strategy to reduce the Aedes aegypti population and the burden of Zika, chikungunya, and dengue. PRVCU will carry out vector surveillance, community engagement and IVM for effective mosquito control.