Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico
Job type: Full-time
The Administrative Assistant position is administrative work conducting assignments on a variety of matters and serving as the principal assistant to the PR Vector Control Unit Technical Director, Associate Director, management, and members of the Board.
The Administrative Assistant will be mostly exposed to inside environmental conditions, with some exposure to outside conditions during training, errands, assistance with field projects/studies, etc. The person filling this position will be expected to perform sedentary work with moderate to heavy work (exerting up to 50 lbs. of force to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects). The Administrative Assistant must be able to access 2nd floor.
Reports to: PRVCU Associate Director
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assists the Program Directors and other key managers in day-to-day organizational and office management tasks, such as project management, meeting scheduling, and filing of documents (paper and/or digital).
- Provides specialized or technical services to management/Commissioners in official meetings, public functions, and public relations matters.
- Attends Vector Control Meetings, and is responsible for recording of meetings, and creation/distribution of official minutes.
- Translate English/Spanish verbal and written communications when necessary.
- Coordinates engagements, travel itinerary, and other commitments.
- Assists in the development and articulation of policy positions.
- Performs special assignments frequently of a highly confidential nature.
- Takes telephone calls, emails, and other communications from the public concerning Vector nuisance problems and Unit services.
- Processes a variety of correspondence, investigates subject matter and prepares replies.
- Maintains current information on PRVCU policies and programs and processes routine matters within established policies.
- Assists job applicants regarding qualifications, processes employment applications, as well as other employment forms, and assists supervisor in employment screening procedures.
- Cross-trains with a variety of staff positions to better understand PRVCU functions and the relationships among them.
Since our organization is going to change to meet the needs of public health, environmental conservation, and the Island, you can expect, anticipate, and assume that your job description will change to meet these challenges and program needs.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Preferred Associate or Bachelor degree in Office Administration, Business Administration or related field.
- 4+ years of experience as an administrative assistant of a fast-pace environment.
- Knowledge of administrative principles and practices.
- Knowledge of the methods of data collection.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Spanish.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to use discretion and understand confidentiality.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include contact information, indicate whether or not you speak Spanish and English fluently, and are available to start within one to three weeks of being notified.
Overview of the organization
The Puerto Rico Science Technology and Research Trust is a private non-profit organization created in 2004 to encourage and promote innovation, transfer and commercialization of technology and creation of jobs in the technology sector. We are responsible for Puerto Rico’s public policy for science, technology, research and development. The Trust’s mission is to invest, facilitate and build capacity to continually advance Puerto Rico’s economy and its citizens’ well-being through innovation-driven enterprises, science and technology and its industrial base. Our vision is that by 2022, Puerto Rico is a globally recognized innovation hub that develops, attracts, and retains scientists, technology entrepreneurs, and enterprises to unlock world class creativity and competitiveness
The Puerto Rico Vector Control Unit (PRVCU) main responsibilities is to develop, lead, and deploy an effective integrated vector management (IVM) strategy to reduce the Aedes aegypti population and the burden of Zika, chikungunya, and dengue. PRVCU will carry out vector surveillance, community engagement and IVM for effective mosquito control.