Job Title: Field Technician – Temporary
Reports To: Dr. Julieanne Miranda-Bermúdez, Community Mobilization Supervisor
Location/ Hours: San Juan, Puerto Rico – Full -Time position
The Field Technician is responsible for vector control and surveillance activities
to aid the Puerto Rico Vector Control Unit (PRVCU) in its goal to control the mosquito Aedes aegypti. Work will be conducted primarily in the field. The Field/Surveillance technician will be exposed to indoor and outdoor environmental conditions, noise, vibration, close proximity to moving parts, working in high places, exposure to chemicals, fumes, odors and oils. He/she may be required to wear a respirator, eye protection and/or hearing protection, and will be required to travel by vehicle as part of assigned duties. The incumbent at time will be expected to perform heavy labor (exerting up to 40 lbs. of force to carry, lift, push or otherwise move objects).
Such work shall be conducted in accordance with all applicable Federal, State and local laws, and in accordance with PRVCU’s policies and procedures established by PRVCU’s management.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
Among the essential activities to coordinate for the project are:
- Conduct surveillance of immature and adult mosquitoes in areas of interest, including deployment and servicing of mosquito traps, adult counts, larval dip counts, and any other method as directed by his or her supervisor.
- Conduct vector control activities, including but not limited to: site inspections, source reduction, application of larvicides or any other product as determined by supervisor.
- Assist in field studies to locate and map mosquito-breeding sites.
- Assist in mosquito identification procedures and other tasks in the laboratory.
- Assist conducting evaluation of products or techniques of potential value to the PRVCU control programs.
- Assist in public relations, education, and other PRVCU/Trust service programs as required.
Since our organization is going to change to meet the needs of public health, environmental conservation, and the PRVCU, you can expect, anticipate, and assume that your job description will change to meet these challenges.
Qualifications & Technical Job Requirements:
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively as part of a team in a dynamic environment.
- Must hold valid Puerto Rico driver’s license.
- Preferred knowledge of equipment used for sampling adult and larval Vector populations.
- A strong work ethic, ability to maintain and model high personal, ethical and professional standards, as well as an outgoing and positive personality. Must be able to work outside regular business hours; must be able to travel regularly throughout the island, as needed.
Experience & Educational Requirement:
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include contact information, indicate whether you speak Spanish and English fluently, and are available to start within one to three weeks of being notified.