Overview of the organization
The Puerto Rico Science Technology and Research is a private non-profit organization created in 2004 to encourage and promote innovation, transfer, and commercialization of technology and creation of jobs in the technology sector. We are responsible for Puerto Rico’s public policy for science, technology, research, and development. The Trust’s mission is to invest, facilitate and build capacity to continually advance Puerto Rico’s economy and its citizens’ well-being through innovation-driven enterprises, science and technology, and its industrial base. Our vision is that by 2022, Puerto Rico is a globally recognized innovation hub that develops, attracts, and retains scientists, technology entrepreneurs, and enterprises to unlock world-class creativity and competitiveness.
The Puerto Rico Vector Control Unit (PRVCU) main responsibilities are to develop, lead, and deploy an effective integrated vector management (IVM) strategy to reduce the Aedes aegypti population and the burden of Zika, chikungunya, and dengue. PRVCU will carry out vector surveillance, community engagement, and IVM for effective mosquito control.
Job Title: Community Promoter
Reports to: Ms. Julieanne Miranda, Community Mobilization Program Supervisor
Location/Hours: Ponce, Puerto Rico – Part -Time position
The Community Promoter is a position designed to serve as a driving force in operationalizing and supporting the community engagement, mobilization, education, and behavior change programs for the Community Mobilization (CM) Division of the Puerto Rico Vector Control Unit (PRVCU). This position supports the PRVCU mission of inspiring and empowering the Puerto Rican public to play a direct and meaningful role in combating the mosquito that spreads Zika, dengue, chikungunya, and other diseases. The position will provide support to the PRVCU initiatives related to the community participation. This position will report primarily to the PRVCU office in Ponce, Puerto Rico and will work all around the Island, as needed.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
Among the most important activities to coordinate for the PRVCU project are:
- Support the PRVCU to contact, convene, and inform community leaders and members of the community where the project carries out its activities.
- Provide information regarding the PRVCU activities and projects to the community members.
- Organize and conduct informative meetings in the community.
- Identify communications methods in the community and use them to explain and promote the PRVCU activities and projects.
- Coordinate and visit houses in the community to explain and promote the PRVCU activities and projects.
- Obtain, maintain and update list of questions related to the PRVCU activities and projects.
- Answer doubts and questions to the community related to the PRVCU activities and projects. Serve as liaison to address the doubts and questions to other PRVCU personnel and other collaborators, when necessary.
- Organize and implement educational activities about the mosquito life cycle and the prevention of arboviral diseases with community members, schools and other partners.
- Support the recruitment of participants for the PRVCU and collaborators projects.
- Prepare and deliver weekly reports of the activities carried out.
- Perform other assigned activities to ensure efficient collaboration between the community and PRVCU.
- Provide support to the Vector Control Unit in general, and the CM division specifically, as needed.
Since our organization is going to change to meet the needs of new designations, you can expect, anticipate, and assume that your job description will change to meet these challenges.
Qualifications & Technical Job Requirements:
- Ability to successfully engage with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively as part of a team in a dynamic environment; comfortable and effective in influencing at all organizational levels; ability to tactfully give/receive constructive feedback.
- Impeccable oral and written communications skills in Spanish.
- Basic oral and written communications skills in English.
- Proficient in the use of basic computer software such as Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- A self-starter with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and managing multiple simultaneous projects under strict timelines and within confidential circumstances.
- A strong work ethic, ability to maintain and model high personal, ethical and professional standards, as well as an outgoing and positive personality.
- Must be able to work outside normal business hours and weekends; must be able to travel regularly throughout the island, as needed.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Availability to work at least 25 hours a week.
- Must hold valid Puerto Rico driver’s license.
Experience & Educational Requirement:
- Experience working on community projects.
- Ability to establish and maintain constructive.
- Ability to speak in front of groups of people.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities at work.
- Ability to learn and use diverse electronic devices and software
Please send your resume to email@example.com. Please include contact information, indicate whether you speak Spanish and English fluently, and are available to start within one to three weeks of being notified.